As the temperatures start to drop and the snow begins to fall, it can be tempting to huddle inside and wait out the winter. But Hamilton, Ontario has plenty of fun and exciting things to do during the colder months. Here are just a few ideas for how to make the most of the winter season in this beautiful city.
Winter Activities in Hamilton
- Visit the Royal Botanical Gardens: The Royal Botanical Gardens are a must-see destination any time of year, but they’re especially beautiful in the winter. The gardens offer a variety of indoor and outdoor exhibits, including a stunning conservatory filled with tropical plants and flowers. Bundle up and take a walk through the gardens to enjoy the winter landscape and get some fresh air.
- Go skating at one of the city’s outdoor rinks: What’s more quintessentially Canadian than skating on an outdoor rink? Hamilton has several outdoor rinks that are open to the public, including the Hamilton Farmers’ Market rink and the rink at Confederation Park. Bring your own skates or rent a pair at the rink and enjoy the crisp winter air.
- Explore the city’s history at the Hamilton Military Museum: The Hamilton Military Museum is a great place to learn about the city’s rich military history. The museum has a variety of exhibits showcasing artifacts, uniforms, and other historical items from the region’s military past. It’s a great way to stay warm and learn something new on a cold winter day.
- Take a brewery tour: Hamilton is home to several fantastic breweries, and what better way to warm up than with a tour and a few cold ones? Check out the tours offered at Collective Arts Brewing, Merit Brewing, or Nickel Brook Brewery to learn about the brewing process and taste some delicious beers.
- Go skiing or snowboarding at Glen Eden Ski & Snowboard Centre: If you’re an adrenaline junkie, head to Glen Eden Ski & Snowboard Centre for some skiing or snowboarding. The resort has a variety of runs to suit skiers and snowboarders of all skill levels, as well as a terrain park for those looking to try some tricks. After a day on the slopes, warm up by the fireplace in the resort’s cozy chalet.
These are just a few of the many things you can do to stay active and have fun in Hamilton during the winter. Whether you’re looking for indoor or outdoor activities, there’s something for everyone in this vibrant city.